Moving my hives
I have been waiting for a cold spell to move both lots of my bees and because of the mild weather, I gave up the wait! My hives on the cemetery apiary were too shaded by the adjacent woodland, and I put the low yields down to this. I chose the opposite sunny side, although it is much wetter. 12 Pallets later and with grass stuffed into their entrances, Johan and I moved them.
My other hives were in the way of building works and I moved them across the car park to a temporary position. Here I tied a bunch of twigs in front of the entrance which, hopefully, confused the bees. In all cases, the colonies appear to have settled into their new positions.
Check, repair and clean equipment
I spent a day in the cemetery, checking all the spare equipment. I cleaned 10 supers & their frames. Also 4 empty supers, 2 that will need frames, leaving 2 for allowing rapid feeders to be used. I then checked and cleaned 4 Nuc boxes and 3 spare 14” x 12” brood chambers. Spiders were in most of these, probably doing a good job keeping the wax moths at bay. I then attended to the miscellaneous items such as queen excluders and crown boards. A few old, misshapen frames were discarded.
Jobs for March
I will report on these at the beginning of April.
Go to John's Blog main page